The Edson and District Recycling Society was officially formed on January 8, 1990.
The Society mandate is:
- To provide education on reusing, recycling and the wise use of our environment.
- To provide the people and business community of Edson and District with the opportunity to recycle.
- To provide public input into municipal and provincial waste management.
The Society Philosophies are:
- A healthy, fully functioning environment is essential to our social and economic well being.
- The rate of waste production must not be greater than the rate that our world can reuse/recycle it.
- Every individual in our community should have the opportunity and the responsibility to minimize their waste production.
- Community actions taken to reduce wastes must be sustainable, or lead to more sustainable actions.
- The ongoing partnerships between the EDRS, Yellowhead County and the Town of Edson recognize the strong responsibility that municipalities have to promote effective waste reduction and recycling programs in our region.
- Partnerships within the community help to reduce costs, enhance environmental education and help to spread the"ownership" of the depot throughout the community.