Insurance and Claims

Insurance Claims Process - Town of Edson

Note: For general information related to insurance coverage in the context of wildfires, the following resources from the Insurance Bureau of Canada may be helpful:

If you have suffered property damage or injury and believe the Town may be responsible, please contact your auto or property insurance provider, where applicable. They should be your first call before contacting the Town, and can assist with filing a claim and seeking a settlement from the Town where appropriate.

Filing a claim with your insurer first provides many benefits, including providing you with direct access to and control over the process. The basis for settlement, if any, may also be preferable through your property insurance policy than the Town’s liability insurance policy.

If you are unable or unwilling to submit a claim through your insurer and believe the damage may have resulted from the Town’s negligence, please prepare a statement of damage/injury form and submit it to Legislative Services at, or PO Box 6300, 605 50 St, Edson AB, T7E1T7.

Please note that it is your responsibility to provide the Town with evidence or proof of your loss, including witness names, photographs, location, damages, date and time, and any other information to assist the Town in the investigation.

It can take considerable time to complete an investigation for liability claims against the Town. Therefore, the Town cannot provide any advance guarantees that liability will be accepted in whole or in part or guidance on the value and basis of any settlement which may result. 

Statement of Damage/Injury Form