Redistricting/ Rezoning

Redistricting/ rezoning refers to changing the district that applies to a property or parcel of land under the Land Use Bylaw No. 2070.

The land use districting of a property specifies the:

  • purpose of the land
  • permitted and discretionary uses of the land
  • general regulations (e.g., development setbacks, parcel size, building allowances and other special considerations)

You may want to redistrict your land if you want to:

  • develop your land in a way that is not allowed under your current district
  • subdivide your land into parcels used for a different purpose

Alberta's Municipal Government Act requires municipalities to have a Land Use Bylaw. The bylaw specifies the uses and activities permitted on specific lands. The Use of a parcel of land may change over time. Landowners who wish to pursue activities on their land that are not permitted under current districting must apply for land use redistricting before subdividing or further developing their land.


Please click here to access the Land Use Bylaw Amendment Process brochure.

Application Submission Upon receiving a completed application, the Planning Department will circulate, evaluate, and make a recommendation regarding your proposal.
Circulation of the Application

Redistricting applications are circulated to required government departments, adjacent landowners, and local authorities for their review and comments.

Recommendation and Decision

Following review, Administration will present the application for First Reading to Council. Following First Reading, a public hearing will be held to give the applicant and the public the opportunity to provide comments on the application. Second and third reading are held after the public, often on the same day. The application is deemed approved by Council after the third reading.

Make an Application

To make a Land Use Bylaw Amendment or Redistricting Application, please complete the Statutory Plan and Land Use Bylaw Amendment Application