Chief Administrative Officer
The Town of Edson seeks an energetic, dynamic, progressive and collaborative leader. In addition to possessing superior tact and diplomacy skills, they will have a strong sense of fairness and compassion, exceptional relationship building skills, and the ability to build and support strong teams.
The CAO will have the ability to create a respectful environment in which diverse perspectives and opinions can emerge and spur transformational ideas.
Full Recruitment Profile --> Chief Administrative Officer - Full Time
Please Note: in order to receive consideration for this position, please apply to the Vogel Group as per the attached Profile. The Town will not accept direct applications.
- An undergraduate degree in business or a relevant field. A combination of alternative education and experience will be considered.
- A proven track record of organizational leadership with demonstrated success in change management.
- A strong understanding of, and commitment to, public service (preferably within a municipality).
- Strong financial and business acumen.
- Leader: You are a self-confident leader, able to hold your colleagues accountable and motivate staff with vision and innovative thinking. You build and foster successful relationships and you enjoy managing differing perspectives and opinions. You support staff and foster a healthy work environment.
- Communicative: You enjoy leading robust, critical but respectful discussions and know how to adjust your message to suit the audience at hand. You model accountability and transparency. You write clearly and persuasively and can inspire people with your vision. You listen carefully to discover underlying messages. You are direct, diplomatic and truthful.
- Decisive: You have experience in making high-stakes decisions that have the potential to impact another’s livelihood or reputation, or decisions that impact the reputation or financial viability of a department or organization. You influence, propose and lead strategy to advance evidence-based decision making. You lead with confidence and have a strong, clear value-set balanced by a focus on ensuring due diligence in decisions and actions.
- Creative/Innovative: You are an effective strategist full of ideas and possibilities. You add your personal wisdom and experience to come to the best solution. You can both create and bring exciting ideas to market, and most importantly, you are comfortable considering alternative futures without having all the data at your fingertips.
- Vision and Drive: You have a compelling organizational vision that reflects the complexities and challenges of an ever-changing landscape. You have the drive, knowledge and dedication to shape, prepare and lead an organization into the future. You have a successful track record of driving organizational performance, transformation and continuous improvement.
- Commitment to Continual Improvement: You are not satisfied with the status quo “because that’s how it’s always been done.” You constantly seek improvement in process, people, policy and outcomes. Looking for a “better way” and “better results” is in your DNA.
- Acts with Honor and Character: As a person of high character, you consistently act in accordance with clearly-visible vision and values. You are direct and truthful, and you have no trouble maintaining confidences.
Check back for more exciting opportunities with the Town of Edson.
The Edson Culture
Are you a fit for the Town of Edson?
If your professional values and disposition don’t match our cultural imperatives and we hire you anyway, we would be setting both you and our organization up for disappointment. Your skills, abilities, education and experience – as important as those things are – won’t make you successful here if our work cultures don’t match.
What’s OUR culture type?
We’re building a culture driven by:
- Open Dialogue
We want a culture where the phrase “can I ask a stupid question?” isn’t a stupid question at all, where “there must be some way we can do this better” ALWAYS trumps “this is the way we’ve always done it”.
- Evidence-Based Decision Making
We are propelled by data and can often be found saying “prove it”. Everything we do needs to be grounded fact.
- Team Thinking
Individuals don’t win championships, teams do. Anyone who wants to work for the Town of Edson must put the Organization and the residents it serves before departmental considerations and personal ambitions.
- A Marathon Mentality
Meaningful change happens over time. Employees must have patience for the long-game.
- Risk Tolerance
If we want to be the most effective municipality in Alberta (and we do), a healthy appetite for mitigated and carefully measured risk is essential to our team character. We strive to do what’s right, not what’s easy.
Have we achieved all of this? Nope, but we’re getting there, and we’re on the same page. This is what we want.
What’s YOUR culture type?
If you are to be successful with the Town of Edson, you must be comfortable with discomfort, with asking and answering challenging questions, with rethinking processes, procedures, and even your own point of view, each and every week. You must have a healthy distrust for easy answers, a keen eye for team wins and a consistent bias for action.