Edson, Alberta, December 4th, 2019 – Council has approved the 2020 Capital and Operating Budgets with some minor changes to the Capital budget. The Budget uses the equivalent of a 3.97% municipal tax increase, down from the original proposal of 6.18%.
The 3.97% equivalent taxation increase will be funded 1.00% from taxation, and 2.97% though utility bills as the cost of recycling is transferred from taxation to utility bills. The actual taxes levied on an individual property will be dependent on their property assessment.
To achieve this reduction from the original proposal, the following changes have been implemented:
- Election Reserve Contribution - Reduced from $11,000 to $5,000.
- Capital Equipment Reserve Contribution - Reduced from $10,000 to $5,000
- Planning Reserve Contributions - Both transfers have been removed from the budget ($35,000).
- Recreation & Culture Reserve Contribution - Removed from budget ($2,000).
- Operations Reserve for Landfill Operations - The Operations Operational Reserve will use $48,750 to offset the reduction in revenue due to the Landfill having reduced service for a major part of the year.
- Interest Revenue Budget - Increased interest revenue by $50,000.
- Policing Budget - Decreased by $100,000 as a reflection of actual costs based on average of previous years.
This budget was kept at a modest increase by reducing administrative costs, while maintaining services and increasing the commitment to future infrastructure needs.
The Capital Budget was approved with the addition of $750,000 towards the Vision Park Well & Washroom Project (funds from Infrastructure Reserve), and the removal of $50,000 for the Dog Park Project. The Capital budget also includes:
- $350,000 for Stormwater Management
- $645,000 for the Snow Dump
- $400,000 for the design work to repair 1st Ave (48-54 Street)
- $1,200,000 for a Road Recapping Program
- $470,000 for a new Landfill Cell
- $1,900,000 for the Vision park Well & Washroom Facility + $200,000 in general Vision Park Upgrades.
- $5,000,000 ($2,500,000 Town of Edson, $2,500,000 Yellowhead County) towards the Multi-Use Facility Project.
The full list, as well as information on the budget process, public engagement results, and budget report, can be found online at www.edson.ca/budget.
The Town of Edson Council and Staff would like to thank everyone that took the time to participate in this process.
2020 BUDGET REPORT