Council Notes - August 18th, 2015
Council Notes - August 18th, 2015
1. Recycling Society Presentation. Anne Auriat of the Edson Recycle Depot gave a presentation to Council on the success of the Community Garden Project to date and future plans. A grand opening celebration is planned for September 13th. Information was also provided on Edson being selected as a pilot community for a program that will collect End-of-Life Electronics. Through a grant from the Alberta Recycling Management Authority, the pilot project will see volunteers from the local high schools conducting door-to-door collection of electronics that the owner has designated for recycling. (more info in the attached release and FAQ)
2. Outdoor Wood or Solid Fuel Burning Appliances. Council has passed first reading of Bylaw No. 2154 to prohibit installation and use of outdoor wood or solid fuel burning appliances (attached). This will be brought back at a future meeting for possible ratification.
3. Rezoning. Edson Town Council has given first reading to a bylaw rezoning some lands in Hillendale Phase II from Residential to Direct Control and some Municipal Reserve and Public Utility Lots in Hillendale Phases I and II to Parks and Recreation zoning. A public hearing will be held September 15, 2015 at 7:30pm in Council Chambers.
Council has also passed first reading of a bylaw to rezone lands at the Rodeo Grounds from Urban Reserve to Parks and Recreation to better suit the use of the lands. A public hearing will be held September 15, 2015 at 7:30pm in Council Chambers.
4. Meeting Cancellation. The Council Meeting scheduled for September 8, 2015 at 1:30pm has been cancelled due to the Labour Day long weekend.
5. Tour of Alberta Street Closures. Council has approved road closures to allow for the set up of race operations on Saturday September 5, 2015 and Sunday September 6, 2015 for the Tour of Alberta. The closures are outlined in the maps and schedules presented (attached)
6. Cancellation of Taxes. Council has approved the cancellation of the outstanding taxes for the trailer that failed to sell in the tax sale earlier this year. After receiving some legal advice, it was determined this would be the best course of action at this time.
7. Minimum Standards Bylaw. Council has accepted for information some details on the repealing of Bylaw No. 1324. After review it was determined the matters listed in the Minimum Standards Bylaw are either addressed in other bylaws or are now governed under Provincial Legislation. As a result the Town Manager has declared this bylaw to be repealed.
8. Offsite Levies. Council has agreed to defer the payment of offsite levies on Phase II of “the Parks” subdivision until it is developed. The offsite levy policies allow for deferment when a parcel is 16ha or larger. As this portion is only 10ha it required Council approval.
Council has also denied a request to have offsite levies removed from a new shop development by Dash Mechanical Edson Ltd. on 1st Avenue, west of the Grande Yellowhead Public School Division office.
9. Relaxation on Area Structure Plan Requirement. Approval was given to relieve the developer of the requirement to complete a Conceptual Plan or Area Structure Plan for lands on the west end of Glenwood at this time. In 2013 a subdivision was approved for the purpose of a church and the conditions were added. Council agreed to defer the ASP requirements until the time of the next subdivision.
10. Information Items. Council accepted the latest development permit data (attached), and a Thank you letter from the Edson Food Bank for donations from the Sunday in the Park project, as information.
The next Council Meeting is scheduled for September 1st at 7:30pm in the Council Chambers of the Edson Civic Building.