Council Notes - September 1st, 2015
1. Policing. Council accepted for information an invoice from the Royal Canadian Mounted Police “K” Division in the amount of $583,242.49 (GST Exempt) with respect to municipal policing costs for the period from April 1 to June 30, 2015. The policing costs are already approved in the 2015 Budget.
2. Business License. Council has approved the business license application from Avenue Cabs. As per the Town of Edson Business License Bylaw, certain conditions must be met and reported to Council prior to receiving a business license. Administration is satisfied that all conditions have been met and Council approved the License unanimously.
3. Organizational Meeting. Council has set their Organizational Meeting for October 27, 2015 at 1:30 P.M. in Council Chambers. The Organizational meeting is when Council will set the future Council meeting schedule and determine who will sit on various boards and committees.
4. Meeting Cancellation. The Council Meeting scheduled for September 22, 2015 at 1:30pm has been cancelled due to the annual Alberta Urban Municipalities Association Conference.
5. Fire Services Contract. With the termination of the previous Fire Services Agreement between the Town of Edson and Yellowhead County, the Town is required to reimburse the County for a portion of the capital outlay for equipment that was jointly used for callouts in both municipalities. As per the contract, $264,000.00 was owed to Yellowhead County. Yellowhead County also reimburses the Town a portion of yearly operating expenditures under the contract. For the balance of 2015 that amount came to $132,408.00. The net result left the Town of Edson owing $131,592.00 to conclude the agreement and Council approved that payment.
6. A.H. Dakin Project. Council has approved, in principal, moving forward with a partnership on an enlarged gymnasium on the current A.H. Dakin School property. There is a meeting planned shortly to iron out timelines that will need to be met and other preliminary details.
7. Development Permits. Council has approved an application for a wall sign and speed limit sign at Rovin Services Ltd. on Rodeo Road. As the property is in a Direct Control District, and there is no Engineering and Planning Committee meeting in the near future, this application was brought directly to Council to have it dealt with in a timely manner.
The next Council Meeting is scheduled for September 15th at 7:30pm in the Council Chambers of the Edson Civic Building.