Fees, Rates, and Charges Bylaw Update
Edson, Alberta, November 30th, 2018 – At the November 20th Council meeting, adjustments were approved to the Fees, Rates, and Charges Bylaw, which outlines all fees for Town services. The bulk of the changes were to reflect updates to other bylaws.
- Planning – Changes to remove some penalties and simplify the permit process.
- Cemetery – Adjustment to fees to better reflect labour cost recovery and balance seasonal costs.
- Landfill – The minimum fee at the Landfill was previously changed from $2.00 to $5.00. This will go into effect January 1, 2019.
- Licensing – Moved Business Licensing and Animal Licensing from Corporate Services to Protective Services. These fees are better encapsulated under Protective Services as they are administered by this Department.
- Combined Water and Sewer rates for residential and non-residential. This is cosmetic only as the fees are the same for both.
- “Organics” was added to the Waste Collection portion of the schedule and the fee was increased from $12.50 to $17.00, as previously announced. This goes into effect January 1, 2019.
- Sewer/Wastewater Treatment Plant (WWTP) Fees – A non-connection sewer charge of $20/month has been added. This includes a $14.25 capital fee for the Wastewater Treatment Plant, as well as a $5.75 operational fee and brings it in line with charges for properties that are connected to the sewer system. This will come into effect January 1, 2019 and will affect approximately 20 homes that are not connected to the Town of Edson sewer system.
- Lagoon Dumping Fees – The non-connected sewer/WWTP fees provide Edson residential properties with access to dump at lagoon throughout the year at no additional charge. Town and County commercial, as well as County residential can dump at the lagoon for a $100 fee per use.
The Fees, Rates, and Charges Bylaw is reviewed by all departments annually and adjusted as required to reflect changes to other bylaws. For the full bylaw you can visit the Bylaws section of our Council Portal at www.edson.ca/council.