The Town of Edson has passed 2 readings of Bylaw 2266, the Mandatory Facial Covering Bylaw. The bylaw will be brought back for a potential third reading during Tuesday’s regular meeting of Council.
This bylaw would require the use of facial coverings for all individuals over the age of 2 in all indoor, or substantially enclosed Public Place or in any Public Transportation Vehicle. Other exemptions include:
- persons under 2 years of age;
- persons who are unable to place, use, or remove Face Coverings without assistance;
- persons providing care or assistance to a person with a disability where a Face Covering would hinder that caregiving or assistance;
- those with mental or physical concerns or limitations, or any other protected ground under the Alberta Human Rights Act that prevent them from wearing a face covering;
- persons consuming food or drink in designated seating areas or as part of a religious or spiritual ceremony;
- persons engaging in aquatic activities or physical exercise; or
- persons engaging in services that require the temporary removal of a Face Covering.
The bylaw’s main trigger is when the Edson Zone reaches a case load of more than 250/100k population (approximately 40 cases). The masking measures would be considered for removal once that case rate drops back below 250/100k for 10 consecutive days.
In the meantime, please consider taking some additional steps to help bring our case rate down. Currently we sit at 101 active cases, or 629.3/100k, which is the 11th highest zone in the Province. Some measures that can be taken include masking in public, distancing, avoiding large indoor gatherings, and proper hand hygiene. Reducing the spread is how we can protect our local businesses and keep things open.
Please note: While masking has been a polarizing issue, we ask that people are treated with kindness and consideration in true Edson community spirit both in the public and online.
For more information on the proposed bylaw, visit www.edson.ca/bylaws.
The special meeting of Council can be viewed at https://youtu.be/MvQJkHCLJQE