Multi-Use Facility Award of Tender
Edson & County Recreation Multi-Use Facility Award of Tender Announcement
Edson, Alberta, October 23, 2018 – Edson and Yellowhead County councils have both approved the contract for architectural services for a new Recreation Multi-Use Facility for Edson and Yellowhead County to Stantec Architecture of Edmonton.
The work that will be done by Stantec Architecture will be pre-design and site selection, a geotechnical study, and the conceptual design for the new facility.
The amenities that are included for consideration in this project are:
- Two standard ice rinks with boards
- Aquatics facility - minimum 6 lane/25-meter pool, child pool, lazy river, waterslide, hot tub and sauna/steam room
- 4 sheet curling surface
- Gymnasium - multi sport court – basketball, volleyball, indoor soccer, pickle ball etc.
- Walking track and a fitness area - studio room(s), area for weights and equipment etc.
- Adequate storage to support each service area
- Basic skate sharpening/pro shop and food service provision areas
The additional features that may be considered for including as part of the facility are a:
- Climbing wall
- Indoor playground
- Multi-use rooms/meeting spaces
- Seating capacity in the aquatics facility (preferably mobile/temporary)
- FCSS Parent Link Centre
- Leisure skating pond
- Lease space-additional food service – e.g. Booster Juice, Tim Horton’s, Dairy Queen, restaurant/lounge etc.
- Lease space - private paramedical services (i.e. physiotherapy, chiropractic, etc.), Boy & Girls Club, Primary Care Network
- Teen drop-in area
Based on the Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) between the two municipalities, both councils have agreed to cost share 50-50 percent on the capital costs of this $40M project. A 60-40 Town-County split in operational costs were also part of the MOU; as well, each partner will have an equal say in operations, with an operational agreement to be drafted as the process moves forward.
"This is the largest municipal partnership in the history of the Town of Edson and Yellowhead County. Our council is proud to be working on this project in a collaborative manner with our Yellowhead County partners for the benefit of both Edson and Yellowhead County residents."
Kevin Zahara, Town of Edson Mayor
“We are very excited about how this project is beginning to take shape – the finished facility is going to be first class and will be something that Edson and Yellowhead County council and residents will be proud of and able to make use of throughout the year.”
Gerald Soroka, Yellowhead County Mayor
The Steering Committee will continue to meet to ensure both municipalities are well represented throughout the process. Further releases will be provided as the project moves forward.
For more information or questions please contact:
Christopher Read, Director of Community Services, Yellowhead County
Jim Desautels, Community Services Director, Town of Edson