New COVID-19 Protocols Edson FacilitiesPosted on
Edson, Alberta, September 1st, 2021 – With the recent spike in COVID case numbers in our community, the Town of Edson is taking some new steps to help control the spread and protect the public, our staff, and to ensure the safe and continued operation of our facilities.
As of today, the Town of Edson will be requiring masks to be worn by visitors to all Town facilities. This includes Repsol Place, Civic Centre, Fire Hall, and Public Works. Staff will also be required to be masked while indoors and away from their workstations. We understand the frustration some patrons have with these measures, but this is one way to help ensure we are able to keep our facilities open.
There is no mask bylaw in effect at this time for other public indoor spaces. This is for Town of Edson facilities only.
As well, the Town of Edson is ceasing all indoor public events effective immediately. This does not include facilities usage such as the arena and aquatic centre. Other risk mitigation measures are being put in place to allow for the continued operation of these facilities.
Additional measures at Repsol Place include:
- Mandatory masks for public and staff at Repsol Place
- Social distancing is recommended
- As was done last season, separate entrances will be used for players/spectators at each arena. Please follow the signage
- All guests are asked to use hand sanitizing stations upon entry and exiting of Repsol Place
- Shinny and pool users are to use the main lobby doors and pay at the guest service desk
- Staff will be doing enhanced cleaning of entire facility
Civic Centre / Fire Hall / Public Works Building
- Mandatory masks for public and staff at the facilities
- All guests are asked to use hand sanitizing stations upon entry and exiting of the facilities
- Social distancing is recommended
- Hours are changing. Effective today, the facilities will be open to the public from 9am to 4pm
- Scheduled / virtual meetings and online payments are recommended at this time
Residents are encouraged to get outdoors and enjoy Edson’s many outdoor spaces and activities. Please help keep the spaces safe and clean for all residents to enjoy.
Anyone 12+ is eligible for their first and second doses now. The Province also has a new centralized booking system coming online to help you find the best times and locations for scheduling your immunization. For more details visit https://www.alberta.ca/covid19-vaccine.aspx.
While the Province has 69.7% of age 12+ fully vaccinated, Edson is lagging behind at 54.9%. We encourage everyone to consider booking your shot as soon as possible and help protect yourself from severe illness.
Locally, active case numbers have risen dramatically in the past week. As of the end of day August 30th, the Edson Zone (Central Yellowhead County) was listed as having 99 active cases, 447 recovered, and 8 deaths. There has been a total of 554 cases to date for this local geographic area.
Our active case rate in the Edson region is 616.8 per 100k which is 2 to 3 times higher than neighboring communities, and the 11th highest in the province currently.
As always, the Town of Edson asks all residents and visitors to continue following the remaining health precautions. Consider wearing a mask indoors where distancing cannot be maintained, wash your hands often, and stay home when sick. Please help us work together to keep our facilities safe and open.
Emergency Management Advisory Committee
The Emergency Management Advisory Committee will be meeting this week to discuss the rise in cases and if any further actions are required.