In accordance with the Environmental Protection and Enhancement Act, the Town of Edson has applied to Environment and Parks for a renewal of an existing approval to operate the Edson Class III Landfill where over 10,000 tonnes per year of waste is disposed of. The Edson Class III Landfill facility includes Class III landfill cells for disposing non-hazardous inert waste, surface water management system, groundwater monitoring system and material recycling/storage areas. According to the application, the Edson Class III Landfill waste footprint will vertically and laterally expand within the current site boundary. The life span of the landfill is estimated at about 25 years. The Edson Class III Landfill is located at NE of Section 9 Township 53 Range 17 West of the 5th Meridian (in the Edson area).
A directly affected person may provide input into certain regulatory decisions, as allowed by the Environmental Protection and Enhancement Act (section 73). Specifically, any person who is directly affected by this application may submit a written statement of concern within 30 days of the date of this notice to:
Environment and Parks
Regulatory Approvals Center
5th Floor, South Petroleum Plaza
9915 – 108 Street
Edmonton, Alberta T5K 2G8
Fax: (780) 422-0154
The written statement of concern should include the following:
- the application number 003-221204
- describe concerns that are relevant to matters regulated by the Environmental Protection and Enhancement Act
- explain how the filer of the concern will be directly affected by the activities proposed in the application
- provide the legal land location of the land owned or used by the filer where the concerns described are believed to be applicable
- state the distance between the land owned or used by the filer and the site in the application
- contact information including the full name and mailing address of the filer.
Please provide a telephone number and/or email address for ease of contact.
Environment and Parks will review each written statement of concern, seek more information if needed, and notify each filer by letter of the decision to accept or reject their written submission as a valid statement of concern. The Public Notice of this application will also be posted on the Department’s website at https://avw.alberta.ca/PublicNoticesViewer.aspx.
Statements of concern submitted regarding this application are public records which are accessible by the public and the applicant. Failure to file a statement of concern may affect the right to file a Notice of Appeal with the Environmental Appeals Board.
Copies of the application and additional information can be obtained from:
Town of Edson
Attention: Dawit Solomon
605 – 50 ST
Edson, AB T7E 1T7
Telephone: (780) 723-4402
Fax: (780) 723-3508