With the changes to the Provincial COVID-19 restrictions, the Town of Edson is moving forward with plans to open the Repsol Place ice surfaces back up to our minor hockey and figure skating user groups. The pool will also be available to the swim club, as well as the previously announced one-on-one and household training sessions for the public.
The announcement was made on Saturday that youth group physical activities (training only) would be allowed under Step One of the Provincial Path Forward Plan. The restrictions do not allow for drop in use or family rentals at this time. Since the announcement, the Town of Edson has been in contact with youth user groups of both the arenas and the pool to come up with a plan moving forward.
Both arenas will be opened to minor hockey and figure skating for training purposes only, as per the updated Provincial guidelines. The arenas will only be open Monday to Friday on the request of the user groups to help keep staffing costs down.
The pool has reopened for one-on-one and household training. The Orcas Swim club will also be permitted to use the pool under the new restrictions.
The following rules will also be in place for the whole facility to match the new restrictions.
- No spectators will be allowed, and Repsol Place will remain closed to the public. Only those with scheduled training will be permitted.
- All participants must be 18 years or younger, excluding coaches/trainers.
- Games/scrimmages are not allowed.
- Physical distancing of 3-metres must be maintained between participants at all times. Coaches and trainers may enter for brief interactions with participants.
- Participants must be masked at all times, except during the training activity. Coaches and trainers much remain masked at all times, except when in the pool.
- Access to change rooms must be limited, including accelerated arrival and departure, emergencies (for example, first aid) and washroom use.
It is anticipated that the arenas will keep the ice in until the end of April, depending on demand from the user groups. These plans will be reviewed as information comes in from the Province.
More information on Edson’s COVID-19 response can be found at www.edson.ca/covid.