Hornbeck Cross-Country Ski Area
April 1st, 2022:
Grooming and track setting is finished for the season. The Parking Lot gate is closed and locked. The trails are still mostly covered with frozen icy snow, but bare patches are appearing..
The Hornbeck Cross-Country Ski Area is located 14 km northwest of Edson.
- Proceed west on Highway 16 from Edson about 6 kms, to Range Road 183 (at the Branch Corner). There will be a blue sign with white lettering directing you to the “Hornbeck Forest Recreation Area” with a cross country skier symbol.
- Go north (right) on Range Road 183 (paved) about 6 kms to its end at a T-intersection.
- Follow the cross country skier sign west (left) on Township Road 534 (gravel) for about 1.5 kms to its end at a T-intersction.
- Follow the cross country skier sign north (right) on Range Road 184 (gravel) for about 1 km.
- The Hornbeck Trails parking lot is on your left.
Hornbeck offers 37.4 km of groomed trails for novice and intermediate skiers. The staging area provides a warm-up shelter with wood stove, picnic tables, toilet facilities and a parking lot.
The ski trails are signed with distance markers so that you can choose the length of trail appropriate to your skill level. The trail signs will assist you in determining your location along the trails. Skiing on unmarked trails is not recommended. It is easy to become lost on undesignated trails.
Hornbeck is an area rich in forest birds, such as Grosbeaks, Waxwings, Ruffed and Spruce Grouse, Canada and Blue Jays, Great Horned Owls, and Downy, Hairy and Pileated Woodpeckers. Skiers may also occasionally see a moose, deer or elk.
Hornbeck Cross-Country Ski Area is managed and maintained co-operatively by the Muskeg Flyers Cross-Country Ski Club and the Alberta Forest Service. The Muskeg Flyers organize several fun events during the ski season, including a moonlight ski trip (when there's a full moon, of course.)
Download the Hornbeck Map here!