Business Licences

A valid Business Licence is required to operate a business within the Town of Edson (whether in a residential or commercial area).  The Business Licence Bylaw provides for the licensing, controlling, and regulating of businesses within the Town.  Applications for new or renewed licences may be made in writing to the Licensing Officer at the Town Office.  At the discretion of the Licensing Officer approvals may be required from the Development Officer, Fire Chief, Medical Officer of Health, Municipal Planning Commission and R.C.M.P. prior to the issuance of a Licence.

Please send all inquiries and application form submissions to the following email Infrastructure & Planning 



Business Licence Application Form

Home Business Licence Application Form


Business Licence Bylaw Update Proposal

We are excited to announce our first major update to the Business Licence Bylaw since 2006. As part of this update, we want to inform you of the details and changes that are being proposed, as well as to answer any questions or concerns you may have.

The proposed Business Licence Bylaw makes the following considerations:

  1. To help enhance the Economic Development portfolio, we propose an increase to the Business Licence Fees - which would see us charging $100 and $200 for resident and non-resident businesses, respectively. Then increasing those fees once again in 2024 to $150 and $300 dollars. 
  2. Uses language for definitions, terms and conditions, fines and enforcements to align with other Town bylaws.
  3. It aims toward re-modeling our business licensing processes, in the hopes of streamlining our workflow, with the objective to make it easier for both our businesses and Town staff to obtain the information they need to easily issue a business license.
  4. That all businesses be required to obtain a business licence, including those that are exempt from having to pay a Business Licence Fee. Such businesses would include, charitable or non-profit organizations and any other business excluded from the requirements of the proposed bylaw by an Act of the Legislature or other Provincial Statute;
  5. Another provision is for the Right of Appeal, whereby, in every case where an application for a Business Licence has been refused, revoked, suspended or has been issued but subject to conditions – the applicant has the right to appeal the decision. In doing so, the appeal process requires that it be addressed to Legislative Services and must be delivered to Legislative Services within ten (10) days of the date that the applicant is first notified of a decision;
  6. That a Business Licence can be renewed up to 60 days before the date on which it expires (December 31st of each year) and within 30 days after the date on which it expires. If a Business Licence is not renewed within 30 days after the date on which it expires then the Business Licence is deemed invalid, and the Business will not be permitted to operate within Town limits until the issuance of a new Business Licence; and
  7. The introduction of two new business licence types, the ‘Seasonal Business Licence’ and ‘Temporary Business Licence’, as a means to better accommodate the various forms of business activities within our community. To that end, a Seasonal Business refers to a business providing goods or services required in relation to a certain season in the year. The Licence stipulates that the Business must not exceed four (4) consecutive months and can only be obtained once a year. Whereas, a Temporary Licence would refer to a Licence to conduct business in the Town of Edson for a period up to seven (7) consecutive days or less and as-well can only be obtained once a year.

For more information on these changes, we invite you to join us September 26, 2022, 6 – 8 p.m. at the Chamber of Commerce building (211 - 55 St, Edson, AB T7E 1L5) as we discuss and open the floor for feedback on the proposed updates to our existing Business Licence Bylaw.