Changes and Clarifications to our Business Licensing
Town Council have approved the first major update to the Business Licence Bylaw since 2006. That being said, we thought to highlight and as-well clarify on a few new changes to our Business Licensing.
For Renewal Businesses:
- Following a review and comparison of fees from similar sized municipalities, the fee structure has been adjusted and the 50% 'early bird discount' has been repealed.
- In an effort to reduce paper waste, the Town of Edson will not be issuing new Business Licence Certificates for existing business licence holders in favor of placing 2023 stickers over previous years sticker on the certificate. If an existing licence holder wishes to have a new Certificate printed for any reason, a $10 fee will be applied. Please note: For new business owners making application for a license the certificate is included in the application fee and will be issued upon application approval.
For New Businesses:
- Pro-rated Fees: We will be introducing a pro-rating system, whereby Business Licence Fees for new businesses will be adjusted and paid in quarter in which the application has been made. As seen in the table below:
|January 1 - March 30||100% of the fee|
|April 1 - June 30||75% of the fee|
|July 1 - September 30||50% of the fee|
|October 1 - December 31||25% of the fee|
For both New and Renewal Businesses
- New Business Types: We will be introducing two new Business Licence Types, the Seasonal Business Licence and the Temporary Business Licence. A Seasonal Business refers to a business providing goods or services within a certain season in the year, whereas, a Temporary Business would only be limited to a full week. Please note: a Seasonal Business must not exceed 4 consecutive months of operation and can only be obtained once a year. Also, a Temporary Business must not exceed seven (7) consecutive days of operation and will as-well only be obtained once a year.
Why do I need a Business Licence?
The Government of Alberta, through the Municipal Government Act, provides municipalities with the authority to establish a system of licensing for businesses, business activities and persons engaged in business. Business licensing bylaws are enacted to protect public health and safety, and a Business Licence serves as a confirmation that a business complies with local laws and regulations.
All businesses operating within the Town of Edson are required to obtain a Business Licence as per our Business Licence Bylaw 2280, as amended. This also includes fee exempt businesses and businesses that are not from Edson but performing work within Edson (non-resident businesses).
Fee Exemptions are a mandate that come from Provincial and/or Federal Acts / Statutes, allowing for certain registered members of particular industries and/or professions to wave the requirement for being charged a Business Licence fee. Please note that these previously mentioned Acts / Statutes override municipal bylaws and policies. To that end, a Business Licence fee is not required for the following mandated industries / professions:
- a Charitable or Non-Profit Organization;
- a Business for which the activities are carried out with a Farmer’s Market association;
- a dentist who is registered with the Alberta Dental Association & College;
- a barrister or solicitor as registered under the Law Society of Alberta; and
- any other Business which is excluded from the requirements of this Bylaw by an Act of the Legislature or other Provincial Statute including, but not limited to the following:
- Pharmacy and Drug Act,
- Health Professions Act (must be a regulated health provider in health care),
- Chartered Professional Accountants Act (must be registered as a member of the CPAA),
- Insurance Act (must hold a valid and subsisting licence under the Insurance Act),
- Architect Act (must be a registered architect),
- Land Surveyors Act (must be a registered Alberta land surveyor), and
- Engineering and Geoscience Professions Act (must be a registered professional member, licensee, permit holder, certificate holder or member-in-training under the Act).
Any Business qualifying for a fee exemption must still apply for and obtain a Business Licence unless specifically exempted from doing so under the provisions of any other applicable legislation. It is your responsibility to determine if your business is fee exempt, with the onus on you in proving your exemption.
If you reside in the Town of Edson and you are self-employed, you will require a Business Licence for your Home Based Business. Please find the online application below or if you prefer, a fillable PDF version.
All businesses operating within the Town of Edson are required to obtain a Business Licence as per our Business Licence Bylaw 2280, as amended. Please find the online application below or if you prefer, a fillable PDF version.
New Business Licences - We are introducing a pro-rated fee structure to a yearly quarter, in which a new Business Licence is being paid.
|Jan 1 - March 30||April 1 - June 30||July 1 - September 30||October 1 - December 31|
|New Resident Business Licence||$100||$75||$50||$25|
|New Non-Resident Business Licence||$200||$150||$100||$50|
Business Licence Renewals - Renewals must be paid at the beginning of each calendar year, between January 1 to February 15
|Resident Renewal Business||$100|
|Non-Resident Renewal Business||$200|
New Business Licence Types - Seasonal and Temporary Business Licences were introduced to recognize a unique business class
|Fee Exempt Business||Free|
|(1) Temporary Business Licence||$25|
|(2) Seasonal Business Licence||$50|
(1) The operation of a Temporary Business must not exceed 7 consecutive days.
(2) The operation of a Seasonal Business must not exceed 4 consecutive months.
|Business Licence Amendment||Free|
|Business Licence Transfer||50% of the pro-rated fee|
|Business Licence Certificate Replacement||$10|
Free Business Directory Listing
When signing up for a Business License you will also have the choice to join our online Business Directory providing your business with FREE advertising. The business directory listing opportunity is only available to businesses with a valid Edson Business Licence or those businesses legally allowed an exception
Click on the following LINK to access our Business Directory