Commissioner for Oaths

Commissioner for Oaths

Commissioner for Oaths Services

A Commissioner for Oaths is a person who is authorized to verify affidavits (a written sworn statement) and statutory declarations (legal document commonly used to declare something to be true). In Alberta, Commissioners for Oath receive their authority from the Ministry of Justice and Solicitor General. They can commission in and for Alberta only.

This service is provided at no cost for the convenience of the public. If at any time the Town’s Commissioners for Oath are unsure of the documentation provided, or are uncomfortable with administering the oath, the Town of Edson reserves the right to refuse this service. 

A Commissioner for Oaths

  • Is not permitted to commission consent letters for minors travelling abroad.
  • Is not a notary public (has all the powers of a commissioner for taking affidavits, and can also verify that signatures, marks and copies of documents are true or genuine). If your paperwork requires a notary public, we are unable to provide this service.
  • Is unable to provide legal advice or direction on how to complete paperwork. If you have questions regarding the paperwork or how to fill it out correctly, you should consult a lawyer.
  • Is not responsible for the content of the affidavit/statutory declaration; it is the responsibility of the person whose signature is being commissioned (the deponent). The deponent must understand not only the details to which he or she will attest but also the fact that he or she is swearing an oath that the details are correct.
  • Is unable to provide certified true copies. Legislation in Alberta does not provide a commissioner with those powers, even if your paperwork says otherwise. You may wish to inquire at a lawyer’s office to see if this is a service they provide.
  • Is unable to commission any passport documentation.
  • Is unable to commission forms dealing with waiving rights under the Dower Act or insurance documents requiring the waiving of rights.
  • Is unable to commission forms that do not contain an oath (a statement of fact or a promise) or jurat (a clause at the foot of an affidavit showing when, where, and before whom the actual oath was sworn or affirmation was made).
  • Is only for documents to be used within the Province of Alberta. You will need to see a Notary Public or a Federal Commissioner for Oaths for documents to be used out of Province – even if your paperwork states that a Commissioner for Oaths can administer the Oath.

Schedule an Appointment

To set up an appointment, please call 780-723-4401

Preparation for Commissioning Appointment

  • Bring government issued photo identification with you.
  • Have your paperwork completed.
  • Be prepared to sign all documentation in the presence of the Commissioner for Oaths at the time the oath is given. The Commissioner for Oaths may refuse to administer the oath if it is not signed in their presence.
  • Bring any exhibits for your paperwork, if required.
  • If your paperwork requires a witness to your signature, your witness must be present with you to complete the Affidavit of Execution. If the Affidavit of Execution stipulates the witness must personally know you, please ensure the witness is someone who is acquainted with you.
  • A Commissioner for Oaths is not the same as a witness.