Planning & Development

Planning & Development

Are you looking to make an improvement on your property? Build a deck or a garage? Build a commercial development? Change the zoning on your property? Are you looking to subdivide your property into two or more lots? All of these developments involve the Planning Department.

Planning is the lead department for all land development applications including Subdivisions, Land Use Amendments (Rezoning), Development Permits, Sign Permits, and Beautification Grants to name a few.

The Planning Department also prepares and maintains the Town's Inter-municipal Development Plan (IDP), Municipal Development Plan (MDP), and Land Use Bylaw (LUB), which form the basis for guiding growth and development in Edson.

We would love to hear from you. A pre-application meeting is helpful in your planning process. We can answer your questions regarding your development goals or any other planning related inquiries to help you get started. 

*New* Land Use Bylaw 2296 

This Bylaw regulates the use and development of land and buildings within the Town of Edson. With all of the diverse developable lands our community has to offer, we strive to be developer friendly and look forward to all future developments in Edson.

If you require a Statutory Plan or Land Use Bylaw Amendment please find the application below:

Application for Statutory Plan and Land Use Bylaw Amendment


Land Use District Maps -  Find your zone!

For other Planning Bylaws and Policies please follow this link to the page.

Development Permit Applications


A development permit is required for property developments, including sheds, fences, decks, new homes, commercial buildings, etc. A development permit is not a building permit. Applicants are required to obtain a Building Permit from an accredited Building Permit Agency for the Edson area.

Application form: Development Permit Application

Development Permit Securities: Policy D-P-8

NOTE: The above application form does not include portable and/or inflatable sign licensing. Please visit Protective Services Department for the application

Please send all inquiries and application form submissions to the following email Planning 

Quick Access to Fees, Rates, and Charges - Planning fees

To book an appointment, the Planning Department can be contacted by phone at 780.723.4402 or by email at Planning or through this online form.

Please follow this link for further development information.

A Certificate of Compliance is issued by the Town of Edson, confirming that all buildings and/or structures (ie. Houses, decks, sheds, driveway extensions, hot tubs, detached garages, retaining walls, etc.) located on a property meet the setback regulations and restrictions of the Town’s Land Use Bylaw and that any required permits have been applied for, approved and issued.

Certificates of Compliance are increasingly being requested in connection with the purchase or sale of a property as the lender or buyer wants to know if the development on the property conforms to the Town’s Land Use Bylaw. If you are selling or mortgaging a property, you may be requested by your lawyer or financial institution to provide a Certificate of Compliance from the Town. The Certificate of Compliance will tell them that everything is in order, or that a compliance or other encroachment problem exists.

If a non-conformance is discovered, the Town will describe the nature of it within the Compliance Certificate and it may be that the landowner needs to take corrective action. The Town advises that if a non-conformance is found that you contact the Town’s Planning Department at the earliest opportunity to discuss corrective measures.

If you are selling or mortgaging a property, you may be requested by your lawyer or financial institution to provide a Certificate of Compliance from the Town. The Certificate of Compliance is written confirmation stating the property either conforms to the Land Use Bylaw or not. To apply for a Certificate of Compliance you will need to provide 2 original copies of a Real Property Report dated within the last 6 months. Real Property Reports must be prepared by a Registered Alberta Land Surveyor. Please call or email for more information.


How do I apply for a Certificate of Compliance?

To apply for a Certificate of Compliance you will need:

  • Completed the Certificate of Compliance Application Form
  • Provide 2 original copies of a Real Property Report dated within the last 6 months. Real Property Reports must be prepared by a Registered Alberta Land Surveyor. Please see Certificate of Compliance Procedures for more information.

Subdivision Securities Policy D-P-16

Subdivision Application Process Informational Brochure

Subdivision Application Form

Subdivision is the legal division of a single parcel of land into two or more smaller parcels. By subdividing land, each parcel created is given a separate land title. Before being registered with Alberta Land Titles, each subdivision must receive subdivision approval and endorsement from the Town’s Subdivision Approval Authority.

Common Questions About the Subdivision Process explains the Subdivision Process. The cost of a subdivision is $450.00 + $100.00 for every lot being created including what is left of the original parcel. Once the lot is subdivided there is a $100.00 Endorsement Fee for each lot being registered. Subdivisions require the approval of the Town Council and must be consistent with the Municipal Development Plan and any relevant Area Structure Plans.

Subdivision Application Process Chart


Encroachment Policy D-P-10

An Encroachment Agreement often is required when a structure(s) such as a fence, shed, house, garage, etc. is constructed beyond your property lines or over an easement or right-of-way. Encroachments are usually discovered when a property is surveyed or when a Certificate of Compliance is requested. An Encroachment Agreement is a formal acknowledgment by the owner of the land that is impacted by the encroaching structure to allow it to remain as is. The application fee is $350.00 on-refundable.

Encroachment Application

Town of Edson

For Building, Electrical, Gas, and Plumbing Permits:

Your authority having jurisdiction is ASCA.
You may choose from the following agencies:

Superior Safety Codes Inc.
Toll Free: 1-866-999-4777
Fax: 1-866-900-4711

The Inspections Group Inc.
Toll Free: 1-866-554-5048
Fax: 1-866-454-5222

IJD Inspections Ltd.
Toll Free: 1-877-617-8776
Fax: 403-347-2533

For Fire Permits:

Town of Edson
Phone: (780)723-4401

For Storage Tank Systems - Fire Code:

Your authority having jurisdiction is ASCA.
Click here for storage tank systems permit information.

Roadside development permits

Government approval is required before you can build or change a development by a provincial highway.

On this page:

Please visit their website at this link here: Alberta Transportation Roadside Development Permit


Curb Cut & Driveway Crossing Application Form

This application is used when access to a property requires cutting an apron into the curbs and sidewalks or crossing an existing ditch. There is no charge for this application; however, securities may be required for construction of the Curb Cut or ditch crossing.

Application for Utility Work Approval on Town Administered Lands Form

This application is required when any work is conducted on Town owned land (eq: roads, lanes, parks, boulevards, etc). There is no charge for this application.


This interactive map helps you in the pre-planning stages of your development. Navigate, draw, and print an overhead view of your property to include in your development permit application. Webmap also allows you to see what permits have been approved, or are pending approval. 

Please contact us at 780-723-4402 if you need help using WebMap. 


Subdivision and Development Appeal Board

Please follow this link to the SDAB page on our website for more information and forms.





605 - 50 Street
Box 6300, Edson, AB, T7E 1T7

Ph: 780-723-4401
Office Hours: Monday to Friday, 8:00 am - 4:00 pm

Chris Chapates
General Manager, Corporate Services

Julia Darling
Development Officer

Athena Tymofichuk
Administrative Assistant, Corporate Services