The Town of Edson
Our tight-knit community is located in the heart of Alberta’s rolling woodlands. With just under 9,000 residents, we are a town focused on celebrating the local; proud of our pioneering history; supportive of our neighbours; and invested in the vibrancy of our recreational and cultural programming.
Life Slowed Down
Embrace a lifestyle that lets you reconnect with the things that matter the most.
- Safe and friendly community for raising a family
- Extensive outdoor recreation
- Very reasonable tax and utility rates
- Top-rated schools with extensive out-of-school youth programming
- Growing retail and commercial sectors
- First-class protective, emergency, and medical services
- Stable and diverse economy
- Competitive Housing Market with Full-Service Lots available.
Recreation and Culture
Edson offers excellent year-round recreation and cultural activities!
Enjoy the vast and beautiful trail system throughout the community, take in some local history at the Galloway Station Museum, enjoy some of the great recreation and culture program offered through our Community Development team, and much more!
- Proposed $70 million dollar Multiplex to start construction in 2022
- Galloway Station Museum and Travel Centre
- Great camping, hiking/biking trails, and a new Bike Skills Park at Willmore Park.
- Enjoy some Junior A level Hockey
- Plenty of outdoor recreation activities including; hiking, hunting, ATV trails, snowmobile trails, fishing. etc.
- Red Brick Theatre with performances and events throughout the year
- Eddies Big Run and other local recreation programming
- Art in the Park events and other cultural programming
We Work Hard to Make Our Community Great
We are extremely proud to offer some unique and high-quality services for our residents and visitors. If you have any questions at all, please contact our Town Office at 780-723-4401. Here are some of the services we offer:
Business and Economy
Edson's growth over the years is based on the rich natural resources in the region. We have a steady and viable economy now and into the future.
Our major economic drivers include:
- Oil & Gas Production
- Oilfield Construction
- Coal Mining
- Hospitality Services
- Retail Services
If you're looking to set up a business, Edson is highly connected with Highway 16 right through the community, rail access, and a great regional airport. Edson is also fibre connected for great internet speeds and has an active Chamber of Commerce to help with any business related questions.
Employees will also find Edson very attractive with employment opportunities, great town services, and a multitude of recreational adventures just outside their door!
Contact the Chamber of Commerce:
The Town of Edson is very lucky to have some amazing schools where we see students thrive!
- Mary Bergeron Elementary (K-5)
- École Westhaven (K-5 English and French Program)
- Vanier Community Catholic School
- Parkland Composite High
- Holy Redeemer High School (7-12)
- Yellowhead Koinonia Christian School (Pre-school - 12)
Other Educational Services
- Grande Prairie Regional College - Grande Prairie Regional College (GPRC) has learning centres located in Hinton, Edson, Grande Cache and Jasper in addition to the Grande Prairie and Fairview campuses. GPRC offers post secondary and upgrading courses that can be done right from Edson.
- Yellowhead Regional Educational Consortium
- Edson Learning Centre - Adult learners and settlement services. Help with everything from help finding services and filling out forms to getting your GED as an adult learner.
Edson's hospital features a top of the line emergency department, diagnostic imaging, laboratory, surgical suites, a 24-bed acute care wing, 76-bed continuing care facility, kidney dialysis treatment and more. The nearly $200 million facility opened in November 2018 and will go a long way towards ensuring top-notch healthcare and attracting quality physicians to the area for many years. The hospital is located at 3837 6th Avenue.
Phone - 780-723-3331
Edson's medical clinic is located at 616 50th Street and is the base for our local physicians. The clinic opens at 8:30 am Monday to Friday. Please call for non-emergency appointments.
Phone - 780-723-5521
RCMP - Edson is served by a local detachment of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP). Administrative Phone 780-723-8822
Fire - Edson has a compliment of 40 volunteer (paid on call) firefighters and a full-time fire chief. Administrative Phone 780-723-3178
Ambulance - 24-hour ambulance service is provided by Associated Ambulance.
Edson's Parkland Lodge Seniors Facility recently underwent a $26 million renovation and expansion project.
There are now 105 suites in total with 42 standard lodge suites, 6 one-bedroom units, 16 memory care suites, 18 renovated suites, and 23 rental apartments (21 one bedroom and 2 two-bedroom).
The facility is located at 4619 9th Avenue and provides a range of seniors’ living opportunities.
The Pioneers Cabin is a Senior's Drop-In Centre and located at 4836 7th Avenue.
Senior's transportation services are also available through the Edson Senior's Transportation Society.